Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Cooking

Finding me slaving away in the kitchen is a rarity. It isn't because I don't want to do it or that I am not a good cook. The reason for my lack of home cooked meals is because my children are super picky. If you know me well, you might be laughing right now. It is a fact, the kids have gotten their picky-ness from me. Yes, I think being a picky eater is hereditary. I guess with that said, I really can't say too much about them not eating the food I work so hard to prepare. But poor Niel, he is used to his mom's delicious cooking.
Tonight, I decided to take a chance and make something other than out of the box food. Everyone in the family likes chicken, bacon, and everyone except for Conner likes cheese. So, I made stuffed chicken with cheese (light on the cheese for Conner) mixed with a few spices, wrapped in bacon.... cooked in chicken broth. Delicious.... right? Then, I made a pizza type bread stick, again, who doesn't like pizza? I cooked up some spaghetti with meat sauce to add a nice finish. I figured I was pretty safe with this menu, and I knew the extra effort would be appreciated by Niel.
Here were the responses, "I think this has cheese in it. I don't like cheese." "Do I really have to eat it all?" "This looks weird. It smells like carpet." "I ate a little of everything, can I be done?" If you ask me, it tasted delicious. But of course, I was the one who cooked it.
All my efforts were worth it though. Niel said he liked it. And, he kept telling me how delicious it was over and over. I think he was just glad he didn't have to eat another dinner of mac and cheese casserole or roman noodles....laugh!

2 comments:

melanie said...

My favorite line to my kids is" This is not a restaurant.." It is so hard to please everyone. Good job though!!! A for effort.

Lori Buhr said...

I used to tell my kids, "you have two choices for dinner, take it, or leave it". Few things make everyone happy, that is why I had them take turns cooking for a week. Then they got to hear all the comments and also learn how to cook. They all cook now, but they still all like different things. Keep Neil happy, you'll have him around longer than the picky ones will be in the house.